[ltp] IBM Thinkpad BMPs

Paul Sladen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:44:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Eben King wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, kain wrote:
> > Eben King wrote:
> > If you download a bios .exe from IBM
> I suppose you could run them (the .scr and .mod files)

Grab the BIOS flashing disk from the IBM site, eventually, you'll get to a
floppy image that has various files.  Read the 'logo.bat'

  @chkbmp logo.bmp        # check BMP is of right dimension and colour depth
  @prepare logo.scr

The '.scr' is a script file used by 'prepare' to build part of modular BIOS
'module':

  COMPRESS  LZINT                 # Use LZINT when compressing modules
  LOGO LOGO.BMP -F:10             # Logo file

Effectively, "Make 'bios://LOGO.10' by wrapping 'logo.bmp'".

Then flash the whole lot.  You may be able to get the floppy to run from
'memdisk'.  I haven't tried/risked either, but I am aware of other people
who've reflashed their logos.

Somewhere, I have the extracted.   The 'Press F12...' messages referred to
else where are all just bitmaps aswell and I'm sure could be replaced with
something far more sinister if people felt so obliged.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  Edinburgh, GB