[ltp] Temperatures for fan ON (T41)

obi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:41:52 -0800

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 06:51:17PM +0100, Uwe Walter wrote:
> On So, 2005-02-13 at 18:01 +0100, Alejandro Sobrino Beltrán wrote:
> > if somebody has a T4x and can post their
> > temps - fan on/off so I could compare...
>
> I'm still trying to get the fan in my T42p *off* once! Until today, no
> success: As soon as it starts, it does not stop again.
>
> However, the GPU in the T42p (Fire GL2, Radeon 9600) is quite hot, the
> 2GHz Dothan CPU also, and additionally I'm usually either using the
> Gigabit Ethernet or the WiFi. I assume, this is just a hot system...
>

> Compared to mine, your system is *impressively* cool!
> (temperatures:   41 44 32 50 [...])
> Which makes me believe even more, that I won't see my fan turn off
> during usage...
>
> Sad to hear, that even with your values, the fan does not stop.

I do have a T41 2378 deu and the fan likes to stay on quite a bit. It
used to stay on all the time, but now with Xorg and DynamicClocks
enables and powernowd I can get few minutes of quietness once in a while.

The machine is running resonably cool (right now I have 36 42 27 46 28
-128 24 -128) but the fan is still running. I do believe is the way IBM
made their BIOS controlling the fan. I think we need a BIOS upgrade to
see changes.

graziano