[ltp] Totally confused.

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:12:20 +0100

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 20:59:44 +1300, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> Greets list,
>
> I have been lurking here, swinging around dozens of ThinkPad www sites, so
> much so that I am now totally confused. Words seem to go in one eye and
> straight out the other one.
>
> I have a R40 2681-B9M ThinkPad, which is just on two years old, & I am running
> Gentoo on it. I am totally confused as to the differences between the various
> states.
>
> Please could a kind soul tell me where I could find some doco about the
> differences between the sleeping, suspended, and hibernated states?

There are various ACPI sleep modes. See cat /proc/acpi/sleep and
power/states.txt in the kernel documentation.

> This machine seems to be able to use ACPI.
> I understand that it is the latest and bestest for this machine?
> Am I correct?
>
> I have come across a huge number of kernel patches while I've been rambling
> around on the 'Net. Is there an anthology somewhere?

Just using a recent kernel (2.6.10) should be fine in most cases.

> I'm not terribly anxious to get the absolutely best battery performance, but
> knowing me, one day I'll forget to turn the machine off, shut the lid and
> stuff it in its bag and go and cook the poor thing.  I'm rather desperate to
> fix that possibility asap.

It's all a matter of a proper file in /etc/acpi/events/. The ibm-acpi
kernel module (http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/) will give you some extended
ACPI events.

Regards,
Tino