[ltp] FC3 which package to remove for lm_sensors?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:01:13 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Kelvin KAN wrote:
> Alain Volmat wrote:
> >* Kelvin KAN [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 at 09:50 +0800]
> >>
> >>I just installed FC3 on my T42 from DVD and chose the option "Install
> >>Everything"

Well that was a mistake.

> >>But I found lm_sensors is installed by default,

That's why.

> >>I know the issue of lm_sensors breaking some TP h/w since the era of
> >>600E and have been trying to avoid it.

Dunno if that applies to the T4x but I'm not risking _my_ TP to find out.
Besides, ACPI does everything lm_sensors does AFAIK.

> >>Any idea how to remove lm_sensors completely i.e. which package?

> Alain Volmat wrote
> >in such situation you always have to possibility to ask rpm which package
> >hold *** file ...
> >
> >here:
> >
> >rpm -qf /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors
> >lm_sensors-2.8.7-2

> Thanks!  On attempt to remove it, RPM complained about many dependencies
> on many other packages, so I rather just leave it as is, but prohibit it
> from running by chkconfig off it at all run-levels.

You can also do "chkconfig --del lm_sensors", or the brute-force method
would be going behind rpm's back and removing every file that came from
that package.  Slightly nicer would be "chmod a-rx
/etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors".

> But I am wondering why I could not find lm_sensors on the pre-install
> screens and the Linux AddRemoveApp program.

No idea.  Maybe it's not considered an App so it's not listed?  Never used
those utilities.

LEO:  Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple
it to your boss' face, oh no.  Eat a bucket of tuna-flavored pudding
and wash it down with a gallon of strawberry Quik.  -- Weird Al