[ltp] Re: System clock wrong on resume from ACPI suspend in recent FC3 update

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:16:23 -0800

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 06:04:43PM +0100, kain wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 12:22 -0500, Eric Benson wrote:
>
> >On a Thinkpad T41p running Fedora Core 3 kept up-to-date since November.
> >Recently, in the past two or three weeks, the clock has been incorrect
> >every time I resume from ACPI suspend. Before that it was always correct
> >when it woke up. Now the clock is always fast when it wakes up. It
> >appears to be proportional to how long it has been sleeping, as if the
> >clock were running consistently extremely fast while asleep, but I
> >haven't run any tests to see if it is reproducible. I've been fixing it
> >by restarting ntpd. I'm currently running kernel 2.6.10-1.741, but I've
> >had all of the kernel updates since FC3 came out. I can't say for sure
> >that the problem started with a kernel update, but it may have coincided
> >with the first 2.6.10 kernel.
>
> this doesn't seem a kernel issuem, I suggest running a script that
> connect to a time server via ntpdate would be fine?
>
> kain

It appears on a laptop (non ibm) that uses apm for power management with
the 2.6.10 kernel that clock drift happens all too regularly.  Like this
one...  I suspend my laptop and its 11:00pm according to the wm dockapp
I use.  When the laptop resumes from apm suspend the next morning at
730am the time is something like 420am or 550am.  If I boot a 2.6.9
kernel this never happens.  On my T23 running acpi this does not happen
at all.

I checked on Yahoo egroups' dell laptop group and others are reporting
some pretty unusual issues with 2.6.10 and apm.

Other wierdness on 2.6.10 is that often the X server locks the system
down hard and my synaptics touchpad is not given back.  Again, when I
move back to 2.6.9, all of this goes away and it works.

I tend to think something is kinda wonky with 2.6.10.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org