[ltp] Re: System clock wrong on resume from ACPI suspend in recent FC3 update

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:55:32 -0500

On Monday 14 February 2005 12:16, after a long battle with technology,=20
Michael Perry wrote:
[snip]
> with the 2.6.10 kernel that clock drift happens all too regularly.=20
> Like this one...  I suspend my laptop and its 11:00pm according to
> the wm dockapp I use. When the laptop resumes from apm suspend the=20
> next morning at 730am the time [displayed] is something like 420am

4:20am?  Maybe your kernel is stoned :-) .  I noticed this problem this=20
morning; 2.6.10, Thinkpad A22p: APM suspend at 8:30am, APM wakeup at=20
8:55am, time displayed =3D 9:35am.  Hardware clock may have been OK, but=20
I didn't check that.

> If I boot a 2.6.9 kernel this never happens.  On my T23 running acpi
> this does not happen at all. I checked on Yahoo egroups' dell laptop=20
> group and others are reporting some pretty unusual issues with 2.6.10=20
> and apm.=20

Just great.  I need APM (or ACPI, whichever) to work reliably on my=20
A22p.  I may have to go back to 2.4.28--whee!

> Other wierdness on 2.6.10 is that often the X server locks the system
> down hard=20

You said you don't have a Thinkpad, so we won't really be able to=20
diagnose anything on this mailing list.  Post to comp.os.linux.portable=20
or something; there are a few helpful people there.

> I tend to think something is kinda wonky with 2.6.10.

The 2.4 series was wonky until 2.4.10.  I avoided the early 2.6 releases=20
so I could avoid the general pitfalls of using not-fully-debugged=20
kernels.  Now 2.6.10 has bugs, since the kernel is software, and All=20
Software Sucks.  ARGH.  Oh well, now that I know about the APM=20
problems, it's not going to be difficult to take corrective action.

=2D-=20
   There was also a recipe for pi=F1a colada, in Portuguese, which the
   Google translator told me needed "hand grenades".  Someone had put in
   a colloquial translation of 'pineapple'... --Chris Croughton