[ltp] Re: System clock wrong on resume from ACPI suspend in recent FC3 update

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:13:05 -0800

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:55:32PM -0500, Matt Graham wrote:
> On Monday 14 February 2005 12:16, after a long battle with technology,
> Michael Perry wrote:
> [snip]
> > with the 2.6.10 kernel that clock drift happens all too regularly.
> > Like this one...  I suspend my laptop and its 11:00pm according to
> > the wm dockapp I use. When the laptop resumes from apm suspend the
> > next morning at 730am the time [displayed] is something like 420am
>
> 4:20am?  Maybe your kernel is stoned :-) .  I noticed this problem this
> morning; 2.6.10, Thinkpad A22p: APM suspend at 8:30am, APM wakeup at
> 8:55am, time displayed = 9:35am.  Hardware clock may have been OK, but
> I didn't check that.
>
> > If I boot a 2.6.9 kernel this never happens.  On my T23 running acpi
> > this does not happen at all. I checked on Yahoo egroups' dell laptop
> > group and others are reporting some pretty unusual issues with 2.6.10
> > and apm.
>
> Just great.  I need APM (or ACPI, whichever) to work reliably on my
> A22p.  I may have to go back to 2.4.28--whee!
>
> > Other wierdness on 2.6.10 is that often the X server locks the system
> > down hard
>
> You said you don't have a Thinkpad, so we won't really be able to
> diagnose anything on this mailing list.  Post to comp.os.linux.portable
> or something; there are a few helpful people there.
>
> > I tend to think something is kinda wonky with 2.6.10.
>
> The 2.4 series was wonky until 2.4.10.  I avoided the early 2.6 releases
> so I could avoid the general pitfalls of using not-fully-debugged
> kernels.  Now 2.6.10 has bugs, since the kernel is software, and All
> Software Sucks.  ARGH.  Oh well, now that I know about the APM
> problems, it's not going to be difficult to take corrective action.

I do have a thinkpad.   I have a T23 running acpi here with 2.6.10 and I
also have a dell inspiron 4100 with apm.

Sorry for the bit o confusion there :)

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org