[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #802 - 54 msgs

chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:35:15 +1100

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:01 pm, linux-thinkpad-request@linux-thinkpad.org wrote:
> > chris wrote:
> > >Hi list:
> > >
> > >I think this issue has been discussed on this list before, but I can't
> > > recall what specifically it was about. Just recently, I am getting
> > > increasing annoyed at the high pitched noise that my thinkpad R50 emits
> > > while the CPU is working over 1Ghz, I googled around and found out it
> > > is due to 2.6 kernel which uses 1000Hz so makes capacitors work a lot
> > > harder? But I can't bear the noise any more, replacing the thinkpad
> > > it's an option nor going back to 2.4 kernel, but changing process.c to
> > > 100hz can solve the problem according to some threads, does it slow
> > > down the computer or harm the laptop? any one?
> >
> > The slowdown to 100Hz doesn't harm anything, that's what the earlier
> > kernels use. You could easily check if this is your problem by booting
> > your laptop off of a Knoppix or similar live CD that uses a 2.4.x
> > kernel. If the noise goes away then you can go compile a 2.6.x kernel
> > with the Hz value turned down to 100. This doesn't really cause a
> > slowdown in overall work done by the computer, but it might have a tiny
> > effect on latency in some high load situations. It is worth a try,
> > though the noise you hear might instead be related to the ACPI
> > subsystem, and if that is the case then changing the Hz value might not
> > help at all.
>
> Also consider checking that your BIOS and Embedded Controller programs are
> up to date.

My bios says it's released on 10/29/2004, I tried to update it before and they
only worked once, I downloaded bios update for R50 from IBM with release date
in January 2005 and the laptop says this update is not required.