[ltp] r40e - music cds not playing after ubuntu upgrade

Tobias Kretschmer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:01:42 +0100

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:46:06 +1100
ash <ash@kgbspy.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Upgraded the Ubuntu install on my r40e from warty to hoary to take
>
> advantage of the latest xorg, and all seemed to have gone well
> until I  tried to play a music cd in the DVD drive this morning.
> Both grip (Unable  to initialize /dev/cdrom) and gnome-cd (Drive
> error) both throw up errors  (even without an audio cd in the
> drive), and if I try and mount the audio  cd, it gives me:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>         missing codepage or other error

Trying to mount an Audio-CD (CD-DA) probably won't lead anythere,
because there  is no usable filesystem on it.

> The output of dmesg reads as follows:
>
> hdc: command error: error=0x54
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1024
> UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
> hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: command error: error=0x54
> end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
> isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

Interesting that it tries to read all CDs als UDF-Formatted,
standard for CD-ROMs ist ISO-9660 with extensions, but may work that
way, didn't try so far.

> I don't think it's a damaged drive, because data cds still mount
> without  any problems, so I'm presuming that it's as a result of
> the Ubuntu  upgrade. A search on google seemed to indicate that
> this is a  distro/machine-independent, if fairly rare issue with
> no apparent  solutions, so apologies in advance if anyone feels
> it's a bit too  off-topic... Having said that, I'm hoping someone
> has some idea of what  may have borked.

What I had once with a newly installed Debian system was, that I had
no rights to read the drive. You should check whether the  CD-ROM
drive device, /dev/hdc in your case, is belonging to the group
cdrom, might still be in disk.
You can check that with  "ls -l /dev/hdc". If not do "chgrp cdrom
/dev/hdc" - this is to be done as root.
And you'll have to make sure your own user account ist in group
cdrom, too. This is done in /etc/group, in the row beginning
"cdrom,..", add your account after the klast colon.

That did the trick with last time.

Tobias