[ltp] Problems with Power-OFF

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:48:45 +0100

Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@woosh.co.nz> writes:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:52, Dirk Deimeke wrote:
>
>> I would only like to get the newer kernel, nothing more from unstable ...
>
> Then make certain not to issue an 'upgrade' command to apt-get or synapti=
c or
> aptitude while you have unstable in your sources list.  It will pull
> everything down on you.

Not necessarily.  See apt_preferences(5).

>From my own /etc/apt/preferences:
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 650

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

I run testing at the moment, but have some packages from unstable.
This is the relevant part of my sources.list:

deb http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib

By default this will only consider packages from unstable if they
don't exist in testing or stable.  This makes adding packages like
newer kernel-images really easy, since they will only exist in
unstable.  Consider this:

bjorn@obelix:~$ apt-cache policy kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686:
  Installed: 2.6.8-13
  Candidate: 2.6.8-13
  Version Table:
 *** 2.6.8-13 0
        650 http://ftp.no.debian.org sarge/main Packages
        600 http://ftp.no.debian.org sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
bjorn@obelix:~$ apt-cache policy kernel-image-2.6.10-1-686
kernel-image-2.6.10-1-686:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.6.10-4
  Version Table:
     2.6.10-4 0
        600 http://ftp.no.debian.org sid/main Packages

Which means that "apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.10-1-686" will
select the sid version (since there aren't any alternatives), but
"apt-get upgrade" will still prefer any package that exists in
testing.

Bjørn