[ltp] Kismet on Thinkpad R31 & SuSE 9.2

Meidinger Chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:47:07 +0100

Hi,

> I'm trying, without much luck, to get Kismet running on my
> ThinkPad.  In /etc/kismet.conf, I have created a source line
> of "source=hostap,wlan0,prsimsource" and also
> "enablesources=prismsource".
>   However, when I run kismet as root, I get the following:
>
> Server options:  none
> Client options:  none
> Starting server...
> Waiting for server to start before startuing UI...
> Suid priv-dropping disabled.  This may not be secure.

See below.

> Enabling channel hopping.
> Enabling channel splitting.
> Source 0 (prismsource): Enabling monitor mode for hostap
> source interface wlan0channel 6...
> FATAL: channel get ioctl failed 22:Invalid argument

The server must be started as root. In your kistmet.conf you should put a
user in for priv-dropping.

as to the actual error: what is the output from:

#iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor && echo "monitor works" || echo "no monitor"

If this doesn't work, you need to check your drivers.

> When I try as a user, I get:
>
> Server options:  none
> Client options:  none
> Starting server...
> Waiting for server to start before startuing UI...
> Suid priv-dropping disabled.  This may not be secure.
> FATAL:  Unable to set up pidfile /var/run//kismet_server.pid,
> unlink()
> failed: Permission denied

This is expected behavior. Not every user can write to /var/run

Cheers,

Chris