[ltp] Replacement hdd in R40e

Paul Hornshaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:40:25 +0000

I've got a 30GB hdd in my R40e.  I'm dual-booting Win XP and SuSE 9.2
and I'm finding it a little cramped.

If I get a bigger hdd and fit it myself, will I invalidate my warranty?
I've got a set of IBM's restore CDs, as the restore partition had duff
zips on it, CRC errors, when I tested the restore facility the day I
bought it so will the new hdd be OK to use these CDs on?

And, what would people recommend as a good, quick replacement hdd?  Can
this machine take a 7,200rpm drive?  I've downloaded the manual for this
machine and the procedure doesn't look too difficult/dangerous, has
anyone already done this, and, if so, any hints or tips for me, please.

Thanks.