[ltp] thinkpad with external monitor howto (2001FP)

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:24:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Alex Deucher wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:13:05 -0800, Shaw Vrana <shawv@comcast.net> wrote:

> > > Oh.  I though you were not able to get 1024x768.  If I understand you
> > > right I think you have done the most that's currently possible for
> > > waht I think you were looking to do.
> >
> > As I mostly use the laptop at work without the external monitor attached, I
> > was looking for the default display to be set to 1024x768.  Currently X
> > always goes to 1600x1200, and I've got to toggle back down after login so
> > that I don't have to scroll madly all over the place.
>
> Yeah, your only option right now is to run xrandr in your desktop
> session init file.  X starts by default in the largest mode available.

If you have 1000x800 and 800x1000 defined, how does it decide which is
bigger?  I think it starts in the first mode listed.

                 Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky
                    about who it makes friends with.