[ltp] High Pitched noise

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:16:30 +1300

--nextPart7021243.sjzEuhr4CS

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:27, chris wrote:
> I finally found out why my laptop emits annoying high pitched noise.
> Recently I am using the laptop's external VGA port for displaying my
> screen, if I run everything on my native screen, it's very quiet even when
> the CPU is at full speed. Maybe this is just happening in my laptop.

? Are you using an external CRT monitor?  The flyback transformer in any CR=
T=20
display (computer monitor, TV, etc.) is close to ultrasonic (some humans=20
can't hear it), but often quite loud nevertheless (puts out a lot of sound=
=20
power) and can actually damage hearing over time.

I'd expect most modern CRT monitors to have done something to shield the no=
ise=20
to prevent hearing damage, but it's still noise you might hear.

Other big coils (transformers) may make noise in the same way - they are,=20
along with what they are intended to be, big electromagnets with alternatin=
g=20
current through them, and thus they may "dance".