[ltp] Re: Upgrade HD

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:54:17 +1300

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:19, David Sudjiman wrote:

> I need to copy winxp partition which is ntfs to a new HD. Any ideas?

use the dd command to do a bit for bit copy of the partition to the new disc.
It's completely irrelevent what the partition holds for this copying method.
It'll take a while, but you can leave the computer chugging away overnight.

dd if=/dev/hdF of=/dev/hdT

F=<letter of From partiton>
T=<letter of To partition>

man dd   for all the gore.

You might care to make the blocksize bigger, like the size of a cylinder, and
the count to be the actual cylinder count of the partition. This will speed
the data transfer considerably.

If necessary you could then use one of the partition resizing tools.

Alternatively why not use Windows? Being a Unix geek, I haven't a clue how,
but I'd be very surprised if it's not possible.

--
C. S.