[ltp] Re: Upgrade HD

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:39:17 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Christopher Sawtell wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:19, David Sudjiman wrote:
>
> > I need to copy winxp partition which is ntfs to a new HD. Any ideas?
>
> use the dd command to do a bit for bit copy of the partition to the new disc.
> It's completely irrelevent what the partition holds for this copying method.
> It'll take a while, but you can leave the computer chugging away overnight.

That'd be my first try, then use ntfsresize on the new partition to expand
the filesystem and partition to the desired size.  Maybe use the OS CD to
fix the boot block afterward?

> You might care to make the blocksize bigger, like the size of a cylinder, and
> the count to be the actual cylinder count of the partition. This will speed
> the data transfer considerably.

If you don't know how big that is, fdisk -l will tell you:

Your numbers may vary -vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
,--
| Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
'--

> Alternatively why not use Windows? Being a Unix geek, I haven't a clue how,
> but I'd be very surprised if it's not possible.

It's probably _possible_, but while that is an esoteric task in Windows and
it takes high-powered tools to have any control, it's much easier to get
done what you want in Linux.

--
The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor
with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil to