[ltp] Replacement hdd in R40e

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:16:30 +1300

--nextPart2018519.Lc9knTRjro

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:40, Paul Hornshaw wrote:

> And, what would people recommend as a good, quick replacement hdd?  Can
> this machine take a 7,200rpm drive?  I've downloaded the manual for this
> machine and the procedure doesn't look too difficult/dangerous, has
> anyone already done this, and, if so, any hints or tips for me, please.

I've got a T21, just out of warranty.  The two drives I have for it make no=
ise=20
=2D not the click of head seeks, but a constant whine from the bearings.

I just upgraded to a 40G disk, and looked into this.  7200 is listed as mak=
ing=20
a noticeable difference in speed, but it's also mentioned as noisier.  I=20
don't have one, and can't comment.

The articles I looked at mentioned that Seagate's Momentus drives are=20
especially quiet, and I got one.  I spend time considering the code I'm=20
working with, reading articles, etc., and I decided that a silent machine i=
s=20
more important to me than what I imagined to be a speed-up of sporadic=20
consequence.  The Momentus drive is 5400 rpm.

Your own concerns may differ, but it's something to think about.

Regards,
Bret