[ltp] tpb and /dev/nvram

Thomas de Grenier de Latour linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:40:49 +0100

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:12:52 -0800
sarvinc@fastmail.fm wrote:

> For some reason I can't seem to get the permissions for
> /dev/nvram changed. I've edited
> /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions so that the file now
> holds "misc/nvram:root:root:0666" but that doesn't seem to help.

It seems that latest versions of udev don't use permissions.d
files anymore. Instead, the ownership and access rights can be
declared in rules.d files with the MODE directive. At least,
that's the case on Gentoo, and looking at the udev-052 package
contents clearly show that /etc/udev/permissions.d is deprecated:

% qpkg -l udev | grep /etc/udev
/etc/udev
/etc/udev/scripts
/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh
/etc/udev/scripts/scsi-devfs.sh
/etc/udev/scripts/cdsymlinks.sh
/etc/udev/scripts/dvb.sh
/etc/udev/udev.conf
/etc/udev/cdsymlinks.conf
/etc/udev/rules.d
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
%

So to make tpb work again, i've added this rule to my
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules:

KERNEL="nvram", NAME="%k", MODE="0664"

And after a reboot i have:

% ls -l /dev/nvram
crw-rw-r--  1 root root 10, 144 Feb 14 22:34 /dev/nvram

(oh, and here the read permission is enough to make tpb work)

--
TGL.