[ltp] Sound in FC3 (udev)

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:18:07 -0500

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:37:07 -0600
wes schreiner <wes@infosink.com> wrote:
> >This link still seems to work:

> >http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html

> Ahh yes, that's it. Wow, it's even more out of date than I remembered.
> RH 6.0, not 6.2. It says that the modem isn't supported, though the
> Mwave (ACP) modem driver has been in the kernel for years. But the info
> on setting the sound is more or less correct if one is using the OSS
> driver, except that they talk about a hack to reload the driver after
> boot. I don't remember ever needing something like that with the OSS
> driver.

The last time they updated it was in 1999 - which makes most of the
tweaks they describe ancient history.

It's been a while since I've had a 600, but I do remember having to
unload/reload the driver on boot for the sound to work correctly,
otherwise sound playback would stutter after playing more than a few
seconds of sound.  Maybe some BIOS revisions or specific models didn't
have the problem.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/