[ltp] Sound in FC3 (udev)

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:07:24 -0800

On Thursday 17 February 2005 02:52 pm, Jo Jo wrote:

> so it seemed to make sense that I compile the SND_CS46XX module into the
> kernel. Yeah, I've rolled my own (2.6.10). So, how come I get the message
> "/dev/dsp: can't be opened (no such file or directory)" when I start up? I
> think it might have something to do w/udev. It wouldn't be the first
> /dev-related problem I've had since going to FC3.

SND_CS46XX is the wrong driver! This is the one that gives the famous "Max
Headroom Effect" or worse.

You want snd_cs4232. If snd_cs46xx loads anyway, you will have to rmmod
snd_cs46xx and insmod snd_cs4232, making sure you feed it all the params.
Chad's script (which I will post here the next time I check my mail from my
ThinkPad) worked after we added a line that said rmmod snd_cs46xx .

BTW with udev, all bets are off. You really should stay with the old /dev
system until udev matures.

Take care,
Michelle
--