[ltp] Sound in FC3 (udev)

jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:33:54 -0500

On Thursday 17 February 2005 11:18, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:37:07 -0600
>
> wes schreiner <wes@infosink.com> wrote:
> > >This link still seems to work:
> > >
> > >http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html
> >
> > Ahh yes, that's it. Wow, it's even more out of date than I remembered.
> > RH 6.0, not 6.2. It says that the modem isn't supported, though the
> > Mwave (ACP) modem driver has been in the kernel for years. But the info
> > on setting the sound is more or less correct if one is using the OSS
> > driver, except that they talk about a hack to reload the driver after
> > boot. I don't remember ever needing something like that with the OSS
> > driver.
>
> The last time they updated it was in 1999 - which makes most of the
> tweaks they describe ancient history.
>
> It's been a while since I've had a 600, but I do remember having to
> unload/reload the driver on boot for the sound to work correctly,
> otherwise sound playback would stutter after playing more than a few
> seconds of sound.  Maybe some BIOS revisions or specific models didn't
> have the problem.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever figured out why RedHat had that problem
with the 600 sound card?

While trying to find the distro that suited me best, I tried Redhat on my 600.
I tried 7.0, 7.3, and 8.0. Each version required that I resort to the
rmmod/insmod drill. Mandrake (at least up to version 9.2) configured it
correctly. Since Mandrake was originally based on RedHat, I would have
expected the same problem to crop up with sound.

Even with Debian and Mepis, all that I had to do was update ALSA to testing
and run sndconfig again. What did RedHat do that was so different?

Jeff