[ltp] IBM T42 Dual boot

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:59:32 -0500 (EST)

	I don't know about the security chip (I've pretty much ignored it
and never had any problems), but on mine the C:\IBMTOOLS directory
contains (subdirs with) all the drivers and applications you need to
re-install.  You'd still need an XP CD to get going, of course.

	The alternative is to preserve the hidden IBM disk partition (or
order rescue CD's from IBM) and use the normal restore routine to recreate
the OS complete with drivers and apps and all.  Then you don't need to
back anything up (well, except maybe your own data :).  The down side to
this is that your XP partition needs to be somewhat larger to accomodate
it (8GB or so IIRC), and the hidden partition takes a few GB itself.

Aaron