[ltp] Sound in FC3 (udev)

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:50:57 -0600

Jo Jo wrote:

>>> Thanks Wes.  What are the lines in your modules.conf (or
>>> modprobe.conf) for the sound driver.
>>

>> Here's what I have:
>>
>> alias char-major-116 snd
>> alias char-major-14 soundcore
>> options snd major=116 cards_limit=2
>> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
>> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>> alias /dev/dsp* snd-pcm-oss
>> above snd-pcm snd-pcm-oss
>> above snd-mixer snd-mixer-oss
>> above snd-seq snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
>> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>> options snd-cs4236 index=0 id=CARD_0 port=0x530 cport=0x538
>> sb_port=0x220 fm_port=0x388 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0 mpu_port=0x330
>> mpu_irq=9 enable=1
>>

>> The most important part is the second options line.  It is probably
>> wrapped so know that the last line starts out "options" and ends with
>> "enable=1".  If you use distro ALSA modules they usually have ISAPNP
>> compiled in so you would also need "isapnp=0" on that last line.  I
>> compile ALSA drivers from Debian's alsa-source package so I have
>> ISAPNP configured out.
>

> I put that into my /etc/modprobe.conf, but all I got were errors about
> the "above" (wrong syntax it seems) and it didn't understand
> "isapnp=0" at the end of the options line. No, that line wasn't
> wrapped when I put it in. I also compiled the cs4236 as a module, and
> didn't burn it into the kernel. What do I do now?

Stop blindly copying config files :-)  OK, if it didn't like the "above"
lines you can leave them out.  They are something new that Debian's
alsa-base package added, but I've never needed them before.  On the
"isapnp=0", if you get a complaint on insmod then your ALSA modules must
not be compiled with ISAPNP support, so you can just leave that bit out
and not worry about it.

Now as for it not working, the above works for me because my 600E has
those hardware settings, yours might be set differently.  You can either
figure out what your settings are and change the options line, or change
you settings to match mine.  There are at least two ways to read and set
the settings, but the easiest (though not very easy) is to use the
PS2.EXE program supplied by IBM.  Of course to use PS2.EXE you have to
boot off of a MSDOS (or FreeDOS, or DRDOS) floppy or CDROM, and then go
through the pain that running PS2.EXE involves.  It works fine, it's
just that the user interface is frustrating.  Anyway, with PS2.EXE you
can view and change pretty much all of the settings that the hardware
knows about, so you can set your sound card IRQ's, IO ports, and DMA
channels.  You might have to change more than the sound card settings in
order to avoid conflicts with other devices.

Get PS2.EXE here:
<http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ZFPEG>

Documentation on PS2.EXE commands, at least all that apply to the 600E,
can be found in Appendix A of the so-called "On-line User's Guide"
available here:
<http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=LWIK-3YEQCF>

Have fun!
wes