[ltp] What's this screw for?

Matthias Himber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:26:17 +0100

Am Samstag, 19. Februar 2005 12:00 schrieb Ignacio Fern=E1ndez Galv=E1n=20
jellby-at-softhome.net |Linux-Thinkpad|:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a ThinkPad R51 (1829-R6G) and it came with several "accessories"
> (cables, trackpoint caps...). One of these things was a small screw with a
> "six-sided hole in its head" (I'm sure there's a name for that, but I
> don't know it). Looking at the bottom side of the laptop, I found a hole
> where the screw apparently fits, it's near the "lever" for extracting the
> ultrabay (DVD drive). But I don't know what's the job of this screw, there
> doesn't seem to be any difference when the screw is in or out. Does anyone
> know what's it for? Should I leave it in or out?
>
> Thanks
This screw is called "security screw" by IBM. It can be used to secure the=
=20
ultrabay device (it locks the ultrabay device eject lever), alternatively i=
t=20
can be used to replace the hard disk screw, making removal of the hard disk=
 a=20
little less convenient for would-be harddrive thieves. Both options are=20
pretty pointless unless you lock down the laptop with a kensington lock or=
=20
similar, as otherwise a thief would just steal the whole laptop.
HTH,
	Matthias