[ltp] slow irda when hotsyncing palm to T40

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:08:42 +0100

Hello,

I try to get a working infrared connection between my T40 and an old
palmV. I use the nsc-ircc module with the required dongle_id value
(0x09). I can see that both peers exchange frames properly on the link
(with irdadump -d), but what surprises me is that the link speed is
completely tied to which peer initiates the hotsync connection first.

If I start the hotsync function on the palm first, and 'pilot-xfer -l'
on the T40 just after, the speed of the connection is good, and similar
to a serial link speed. But if I launch pilot-xfer first, the connection
becomes abnormaly slow, and this is confirmed by "irdadump -d", that
shows long pauses in the traffic of approx. 500ms quite frequently.

I described this situation on the irda-users mailing-list, see :
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.irda.general/413

The connection logs are here:
http://bellet.info/irda/log-hotsync-before-pilotxfer.log
http://bellet.info/irda/log-hotsync-after-pilotxfer.log

Have you already seen a similar problem ?  And did you find a workaround
for it ? Any hints are welcome :-)

I tried to switch from FIR to SIR in the BIOS (disable the DMA channel
associated to IR), and it didn't change this behaviour. So I think the
problem is not located at the driver level. Maybe the irda stack is a
bit broken on this version (4.1) of palmos ?

Best wishes,
--
fabrice