[ltp] Sound in FC3 (udev)

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:06:07 -0600

Jo Jo wrote:

>>> Well, she's working now. Actually, all I had to was turn on the
>>> quick boot. /dev/dsp then appeared, but I had to try a whole lot of
>>> things over and over again until I got sound.  However, even after I
>>> got sound I couldn't get those volume bars in KDE's sound mixer to
>>> turn yellow. They are still gray. What does one do about that? I'd
>>> also appreciate it if someone could tell me how to supress that
>>> ear-splitting feedback
>>

>> I've had ESFB from having the microphone volume (gain) set too high.
>

>    Is this a hardware thing, because this occurs after very little
> software has been loaded.

No, it's a software thing, because it doesn't happen as soon as the
hardware is configured by the BIOS, or else you would report it starting
even before the kernel is loaded.  So what is likely going on is
something early in your boot is loading the sound modules and then
then a bit later something else loads better mixer settings.  Try
getting the mixer settings where you want them and then run, as root,
"alsactl store".  After that reboot and see if the problem is gone.

wes