[ltp] R51 hard drive clicking & firmware

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:18:15 -0700

Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

>  Howdy,
>
>  When things get warmed up on my computer, the hard drive clicks.  Not a loud
>  click.  A quiet, consistent, "tikitikitiki."  My hard drive is a
>  HTS548040M9AT00 (40GB), purchased new in October 2004.  As best as I
>  remember, its always done it.  It usually stops momentarily when the disk
>  is accessed.

If you are concerned about the noise, run the Drive Fitness Test from
Hitachi.  Some noise is 'normal' but a constant click-click-click is
not.  I have a drive in a Dell that is a rebranded IBM drive that resets
every once in a while, whereas the drive in my IBM Thinkpad is very
quiet and does not go through this (or I cannot hear it.)  So, each
drive has its own personality, and what is normal for one drive is not
for another.
--
James McKenzie