[ltp] IBM R40(e) and R51 mirror problem with beamer screen

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:36:22 -0500

    Matt> Er... what's   lspci say  the  video  chip is?   There   are
    Matt>  differences   between  the  i830M,  i845G,   i852GM, i865G,
    Matt> etc. Intel chips, and the Windows Device Mangler lies like a
    Matt> rug.

Ok I did not know that, but it is not surprise:
lspci -vv claims

0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0557
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
        ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
        <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
        Region 0: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Region 2: I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)
        Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0557
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
        ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
        <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Region 0: Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Region 1: Memory at d0080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

    >> The R 40(e) allows --during the boot process-- to switch between the
    >> LCD and the beamer screen by pressing Fn-F7.
    >> The R51 behaves very differently. It is not possible in the booting
    >> process to mirror the LCD screen.

    Matt> Different video chipsets, different capabilities.  The Intel video cards
    Matt> are widely regarded as the bottom of the barrel for various reasons.
    Matt> Displaying boot messages on 2 heads isn't *that* important, but
    Matt> dual-head can be nice once X is running.  There's a kernel module
    Matt> project somewhere that allows boot messages to be directed to multiple
    Matt> heads of some dual-head video cards... ah, the "linuxconsole" project
    Matt> on sourceforge.net.

Right, I don't need to mirror the boot messages. I just wanted to
point out the differences. I definitely would like to have dual-head in
X.

    >> So in Linux, when I switch between the screen [on the R51], the LCD
    >> gets blank, the screen looks in the beamer sort of distorted [...]
    >> Now in Windows XP, once the windows manager is up, it is possible to
    >> mirror the LCD with the beamer.

    >> So I wonder whether it is possible have a similar behaviour using
    >> vncviewer vncserver and the like.

    Matt> Why drag VNC into this?  The man page for i810 says that the behavior
Well searching the net, some persons with a T41 who had problems that
there 1400 resolution was not displayed correctly on the beamer so
they came up with the VNC solution I thought I could try a similar
approach.

    Matt> you want is possible as long as X is running.  Just set up your X
    Matt> config file properly.  "man i810", pay special attention to the
    Matt> MonitorLayout and Clone options.  I *think* you want these 2 lines in
    Matt> the Device section of your X config file:

The problem is that in my man pages I cannot find anthing with respect
to the clone option.

    Matt> Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,CRT"
    Matt> Option "Clone" "true"

These two options I added, but it did not work.
Right now there are two problems.

    - switching from LCD to beamer does not work correctly, since
      10 percent  of the  screen, at the  top  of the screen  are
      completely distorted.

    -  once switched the LCD is blanck.

So right now the only way to get a beamer presentation, shutdown
the Xserver, change the screen vía fn f7 and then restart it.

    Matt>  ...try that, maybe the CloneRefresh option, restart X,
    see what you get.

Did not find that neither.

Do you mind if I post my XF86Config-4 file?

Thanks

Uwe