[ltp] Last desperate attempt to show off my Debian Thinkpad at a conference

Carl-Fredrik Enell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:24:15 +0200

Hi all,

    Uwe> may be this is helpful.
    Uwe> http://theorie.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~arwagner/computer/T41p/
    Uwe> see the references therein,

I use this setup and it works very nicely. I can do other things on
the LCD while the projector still shows the presentation.
Here is the script I use to start the vnc server and  viewers.

#!/bin/sh

#VNCSRV=":3"
#VNCGEO="1024x768"
#EXTDSP=":0.1"
#Moved to file ./config

. config

# Fire up vncserver and give it some time for things to settle
vncserver -name "Beamer" -geometry $VNCGEO $VNCSRV &
sleep 1
#No screensaver during presentation please
xset -display $EXTDSP s off

# "remote" viewer i.e. the beamer
vncviewer -fullscreen -shared -viewonly  -passwd $HOME/.vnc/passwd localhost$VNCSRV -display $EXTDSP &

# local viewer
xvncviewer -passwd $HOME/.vnc/passwd -shared $VNCSRV &

###

However, is there a way to switch on the external screen without
restarting the X server? I know that some such features of X.org have been
discussed here but what about XFree86? I'm running Debian
unstable. Should I get unofficial packages of X.org?

Regards Carl-Fredrik
Carl-Fredrik Enell
Sodankylä Geophysical Observatory
Tähteläntie 62
FIN-99600 Sodankylä, Finland

http://www.sgo.fi/~fredrik
Telephone (work):	(+358) (0)16  619826
Mobile phone (private): (+358) (0)400 820037