[ltp] Last desperate attempt to show off my Debian Thinkpad at a conference

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:40:21 +0100

Michael Hagemann wrote:
> Bob Alexander wrote:
>
>> I love my desktop. It shows Debian, GNOME, KDE appls and even
>> (shudder) IE6 and Lotus Notes under WINE.
>>
>> I have made many many attempts, veiled by my ignorance, to obtain the
>> same a 1024x768 screen mirroring my internal 1400x1050 LCD panel but
>> am stuck with two situations:
>>
>> 1) My "xinerama" setup is ABSOLUTELY GREAT ... the second screen shows
>> on the projector perfectly. But while giving my lecture on the beauty
>> of Debian (to a paying audience yuk yuk yuk) this will not be very
>> practical. BTW I have discovered with horror that if I move my OO
>> impress on the external projector and then click "run the slide show"
>> it shows on the internal LCD !!!
>

> Did you try to _start_ ooimpress on the second screen?  I didn't try
> xinerama yet, but it should be something along the lines of `ooimpress
> -display :1 <file>'.
>
> I'll try this setup, too...

LOL ... thank you Michael ... seems I have it another bug, ehm feature :(

If I start ooimpress on the LCD (the second screen is absolutely empty
and has only the wallpaper) and drag the ooimpress window to the
projector screen everything looks very nice on my wall ...
BUT
when I click on the start slideshow guess in the projector screen on
what screen is the presentation shown ? Correct on the LCD screen :(

Issuing a ooimpress -display :1 gives an error like not being able to
access that window ... tried with xhost + but same stuff !!!

>> 2) My "single" setup shows on the projector a clipped AND distorted
>> mirror of what I see on the internal LCD.
>

> You might want to try a fixed CRT2VRefresh rate.  I had success with 50Hz.

I tried using "50" and also "50-50" in the CRT2VRefresh option but that
does not seem to work. I wonder if it's a bug in Debian's version of
XFree86 ? :( :(

> good luck,
> michael

Thank you but I start to fear that I will have to give my lecture on
Linux distros with MS XP :( :( :(

Bob