[ltp] T42 battery discharging time

Eric Van Buggenhaut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:29:53 +0100

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:11 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> >I'm still investigating this. With brightness at minimum, no hungry
> >process running, I get this consumption rate:
> >
> >[eric@atto:~/job/medialab/BD/php]$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
> >present:                 yes
> >capacity state:          ok
> >charging state:          discharging
> >present rate:            35427 mW
> >remaining capacity:      45740 mWh
> >present voltage:         11825 mV
> >
> >which is _huge_. I'm wondering whether it could be the X driver the
> >cause of it. In fact shutting down X drops the rate to ~15W.
> >How much do you consume without X ?
> >What X driver are you using ? I'm with radeon.
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> Thats very interesting.
>
> In my case I just experimented for you:
>
> Without X -> avg.15900 mW
> With    X -> avg.16300 mW
>
> not very different I am afraid.
>
> Should I mention that in the console where I have experimented I am
> using the 1400x1050 framebuffer ?
>
> I am using Debian sid and therefore have Debian's X (4.3.0.dfsg.1-1).
>
> The driver I declare in my XF86Config4 is ati but I guess it's a synonym
> for radeon.

No, there are 2 different drivers:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 49088 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 150432 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o

My config is:

Debian testing/sarge
xserver-xfree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-&

I also use cpudyn to save(!) power. The fact is when X isn't started,
cpudyn successfully switch CPU freq between 6OO and 17OO MHz.
When I launch an X session, CPU freq jumps tp 1700MHz and won't slow
down whatever I do, even if there's no window open on the display.

As I said before this 35W consumption I get is without IrDA no
Bluetooth nor WiFi active.

I even tried shutting down all possible services (nfs-server, apache,
mysql, xprt, ...) but that didn't change anything.

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
Eric.VanBuggenhaut@AdValvas.be