[ltp] Last desperate attempt to show off my Debian Thinkpad at aconference

Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:13:05 -0500

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:51:00 -0800, John Locke <mail@freelock.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 13:31 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
>
> > you can run a second X server on another vt and them switch to it
> > using ctrl-alt-Fx. however you can't  start x servers on each head
> > separately and have them accessable at the same time.
>
> Okay. So I assume that means the second head needs to be connected when
> X starts, for it to be recognized? Is it possible to restart X to detect
> the new screen, without killing all the running applications on the
> existing screen?

since X is not dynamically re-configurable, you can only have one
configuration per instance.  if you want to change it, you have to
restart X.  restarting X will disconnect all your X clients.

Alex