[ltp] Thnkpad R40 / Cisco MPI 350

sean funk linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:22:16 -0800

Hi all -

I am having major issues trying to get this wireles adapter to
function under Fedora Core 3.

Fedora finds and isntalls the airo module for this adapter - which is
a Cisco Aironet 350 MPI (mini pci).

I can scan networks, and sometimes for essids, but after 10 seconds or
so the essid gets lost. This is with iwconfig. I have noticed that
(with KDE) KWifiManager is a completely worthless tool as no settings
are saved - must jsut be eye candy - can't understand how it was
released with any distribution.

I can plop my windows drive in and automagically, everything works -
so this is by no means a hardware issue. Perhaps witht he way Linux is
handling resources, but I'm at the noob level with linux so
researching that is far beyond my scope without handholding.

Anyway, long story short - this adapter doesn't work at all in linux/
Drive rloads just fine but I can't ifup eth1 or ifup wifi0 (it shows
up as both eth1 and wifi0, and this was an autoinstall by Fedora, I
did not manually install any hardware in the OS).

If anyone, anywhere, has ever gotten this adapter to work in Fedora
Core 3, please let me know how, and what needs to be done.