[ltp] R51 with Intel Card: VESA works better

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:54:33 -0500

On Friday 25 February 2005 16:19, after a long battle with technology,
Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> Uwe Brauer wrote:
> >I just would like whether anybody could confirm this: the X-server
> >works better when I change in my XF86Config file i810 to vesa.
> Well you probably have a really old kernel version, and you are using
> the driver for a i810 which is like a 1998 video Card? look up what
> you really need.

Alejandro, if you'd just read the man page for i810, you'd find out that
the i810 X module supports a metric arseload of Intel video chips--not
just the original i810.  If you have an Intel video chip, you'll almost
always get much better video performance with the i810 X module than
the VESA one.  A number of Intel video chips use the i740 X module, but
this is not the correct one for Uwe.

> >"Working better" means "when using fn f7 to switch to an external
> > screen the display does not get distorted any longer".
> maybe your framebuffer support is giving you a hard time?

I don't think Uwe ever said anything about vesafb or intelfb.  IME,
vesafb never stepped on X's toes.  The symptoms Uwe is describing (LCD
OK, VGA-out not OK) sound a lot more like an X module problem or an
incorrect X config file than a framebuffer support problem.  I advised
him to try the MonitorLayout and Clone options in X's config file, but
that apparently didn't work for him.

Here's a thought:  I'm using Xorg here and some of the options present
in Xorg's i810 module may not be there in X 4.3.0's i810 module.  So,
Uwe, if you're not using Xorg, it *may* be time to upgrade.  I'm sorry
if you're already using Xorg; I haven't been paying close attention to
this Subject: line; work and junk keeps getting in the way.

> make sure you choose the right stuff and that you have the correct
> kernel support and loaded...

The fact that the LCD is working is good evidence that agpgart has been
loaded.  The DRM stuff may or may not be loaded--the proper module for
Uwe is i830, I think, but DRM isn't particularly relevant as Uwe is
only trying to display 2D things.

--
   We're standing there pounding a dead parrot on the counter, and the
   management response is to frantically swap in new counters to see if