[ltp] R40 battery woes

Paul Kaplan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:35:19 -0500

I've had a refurbished R40 (2682-XX3) for about a year.  Not surprisingly, the
battery performance slowly degraded dropping from about 2 hours of power when
I first got the machine to about 30 minutes at 1 year.

As per IBMs recommendations, I tried reconditioning the battery by running the
power to 0 and then recharging overnight with the machine off.  The battery
did not charge and reported 1% remaining charge, which would not change.

Thinking the problem was with the battery, I bought a replacement battery, but
it too would not charge.  I had the same (lack of) response with both
batteries under Linux a Windows, so I'm pretty certain, I'm not looking at a
software problem.

Any ideas?  What sort of hardware problem would result in the inability to
charge a battery even when it is reported as being installed with 1%
remaining power?  ((I don't have an external charger.)  Would this be
hard/expensive to fix?

TIA
Paul