[ltp] T30 serial ports

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:46:45 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Peter Johanson wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 11:12:55AM +0100, Pino Giaquinto wrote:
> > I have a ThinkPad T30 (Fedora Core 3)
> > In system log I can see:
> > Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 76 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
> > ttyS0 at I/O 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a NS16550A
> > ttyS1 at I/O 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a NS16550A
> > 3) Need I a driver for my Siemens S55 to connect to internet (GPRS) using
> > serial cable or IRDA ?

I only have experience with serial ports om desktops (my T40 has no serial
ports), but in those you only need serial.o (comes with the lernel) and
maybe setserial to access the serial ports and use e.g. minicom.  To use PPP
you need additional modules (ppp.o and compressors?), also included with the
kernel, and pppd.  Maybe an on-demand dialer, but that's not strictly
necessary.  Haven't used IRDA, but my guess is that in addition to serial.o,
you'll need some stuff in here:

IrDA (infrared) support  --->

(2.4.29)

              An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of
               being called an idea at all.  -Oscar Wilde