[ltp] r40 Battery life

shorty linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:24:26 +1000

> Thanks John. Havent come across your laptop mode tip yet but will look
> it up. (have only just started reading the archives) Havent used the
> swsusp, just using software suspend2 at the moment. Having a few probs
> with that too, but as I dont use it very often (mostly just sleep) I
> havent gotten around to fixing it yet.=20

Interestingly, I don't think I've seen my previous post either come
across the list.

Basically, compile laptop-mode into your stock 2.6 kernel, if it's not
already, and install Debian's laptop-mode-tools package to get scripts
that will enable it for you.  That'll allow the kernel to spin down the
hard drive more often.
--=20
John M Flinchbaugh

Thanks John,
		I actually did it the hard way (well copying and pasting isnt that
hard i suppose) and copied the scripts from the laptop-mode text file.
Found laptop mode tools after. Doesnt matter, it all works now, although
I did have a problem with my drive being constantly being written to by
pdflush and ksyslogd (I think, thought I wrote it down) solved it by
adding noatime to my fstab for my / partition. Funnily I had laptop mode
before I compiled 2.6.10 kernel and I swear the disk writing wasnt
happening then. Even now my hdd led still flickers, but looking at
iostat, shows nothing being written/read. However my battery time still
sucks.

--
shorty