[ltp] INTEL PRO 2200BG 802.11 b/g wireless LAN mini-PCI card

Elliot F linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:20:23 -0800

s p wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:04:12 -0800, Elliot F
> <elliotf-thinkpadlinux@gratuitous.net> wrote:

>>>Yes, my experience with the madwifi drivers on the Atheros chipset has been not so spectacular.  Whenever you upgrade your kernel you need to recompile the modules (of course) but it always seems that the madwifi module is very unstable for several months whenever a new kernel is released.
>>>
>>>For 2.6.9 there were countless compile-time errors that had to be patched, and it was over a month before there was a compilable madwifi in CVS.
>>>
>>>Now on 2.6.10 the madwifi drivers cause kernel panics on my machine...I have tried the latest CVS several weeks in a row with no luck, so I have been without wireless for a month.
>>>
>>>I can't tell you about the Intel chipset, but if you decide on Atheros, plan on delaying kernel upgrades for a few months after a new kernel is released.
>>
>>To put my two cents in, it depends on the distribution and what day you
>>pull cvs.  I'm now running Ubuntu (hoary) on my T40, and it works
>>wonderfully.
>>
>>Part of the problem is that the driver has not yet (as far as I know)
>>had a "stable" release (it's only been cvs snapshots), so if you're not
>>using a distribution-tested version of it, it's kind of luck of the
>>draw.  I had some problems with it (when I was using Debian Sarge on my
>>laptop with madwifi cvs) every now and again, but it worked pretty well
>>so far.  The only "real" problem that I am having is that the madwifi
>>driver seems incompatible with utilities like network-manager.  When
>>using networkmanager, the wireless connection becomes unusable.  Some
>>info follows:

<snip>

> Thanks to all for your feedback. Incidentally, I'm presently leaning
> toward Ubuntu as the distro that will be used. Again, thanks to
> everyone, and all the best!
>
> Sam.

An 802.11a/b/g intel wireless nic is arriving today to replace the atheros card
in my laptop.  It was only $40.52 shipped from newegg.com.  I had paid $95 for
the 802.11a/b/b atheros unit.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Primarily, I bought it so that I could use the netmanager applet (which madwifi
does not support at the moment.)

Link to item on newegg ("WM3B2915ABGNAX"):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-106-219&depa=0

Elliot