[ltp] Xandros

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 08:49:10 -0500

Hi All

There is an article on News Forge
www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/23/2039209
about Xandos on a Thinkpad.

Recalling my experience is upgrading Mandrake 9.1 to 10.1 and my attempts to
install 9.2 on my Thinkpad I find his experiences to exactly mirror my
experiences with Mandrake and SuSE and equivalent to what has discussed here
about Mandrake and SuSE in the last couple of months.

What I read sounds good but based on past experience and burn jobs I do have a
few questions.

1. What is the difference between Xandos, SuSE, and Mandrake as far a package
content? Does Xandros have the same basic packages?

2. What is the difference between package installation? At one time one could
take Mandrake and Red Hat package from one and install them in the other they
were so closely related but SuSE was different such that that was not
possible.

3. Does Xandos compile like Mandrake and SuSE. I don't know about package
compiling in SuSE having never tried it but I do know from experience that
Mandrake and Red Had [now Fedora] are similar and little different from
Debian, Slackware and Gentoo. The base question here is has Xandos pulled a
fast one us and it require something special which is proprietary and cost
big bucks to install packages or not?

4. Is this guy tell it like it is or is this marketing BS. I seem to recall
that Mandrake 9.1 DVD will install [and probable 9.2 DVD which I have not
tried] on a Thinkpad but that Mandrake 9.x nor 10.x CD will install while
10.x can be installed by a geek but is completely outside the realm of
installation by non Linux geeks with package upgrading for the 10.x series
being equally impassible. I also recall that SuSE will not identify a
Thinkpad monitor nor my WiFi network and that when I attempted to configure
DSL without having the Thinkpad connected to DSL I was ask for a username and
password. Personally I did not know DSL used user names or passwords having
never been ask that question in the past so I do not think this is right but
I an not enough of a geek to know what is wrong. I did install the Mandrake
10.1 but found I did not like it enough to update the system back to 10.1
after my HD failure wiped my first installation.

So I guess what I am asking is that since I do not have the money to buy a new
HD so that I have a system to play with for upgrades and modifications while
maintaining an operating system [last 80 GB HD I bought for this Think pad
$400.00 US] and purchase of Xandos [$80.00 US] since I do not have high speed
capabilities what experiences other members of the list have had with Xandos
3.0?

While we are discussing software does any have any vague projections of when
Open Office 2.X will be included with Mandrake, SuSE or Xandros?

Thanks

Frank