[ltp] Glitches on new R51 install...

Chris MacLean linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:29:09 -0800

rst@ai.mit.edu wrote:

>I've just installed SuSE Pro 9.2 on a new R51, and I've encountered a
>few glitches.  I'd like to know if anyone has encountered anything
>similar, and knows of workarounds.  The issues, in brief:

I have an R61 (1836QQU) with Gentoo:

Linux monster 2.6.9-gentoo-r13 #4 Sat Jan 1 16:28:42 PST 2005 i686
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

>*) ACPI suspend-to-disk seems to work, but it surprises me by losing
>   time; I'd have thought that the clock chip would still be running
>   even when the rest of the machine is off.
>
>   Suspend-to-RAM *looks* as if it works, but drains power excessively,
>   as if the machine was still on standby, rather than asleep.

Same deal as me.  I am about to try APM out.

>   (I haven't really tried APM yet).
>
>*) The machine has Intel Pro Wireless 2200 hardware.  There's a driver
>   for that under development at http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net; does
>   anyone have any experience with it?

I have used it and ndiswrapper.  Each has it's own problems.  The
ipw2200 comes up with:

eth1: decryption failed (SA=00:12:17:2a:44:b4) res=-2
eth1: WEP decryption failed ICV mismatch (key 0)

and loses connectivity from time to time.  ndiswrapper works better, but
different combinations of kernel and ndiswrapper cause a kernel panic.
I'm putting my stock into the ipw2200.

>*) The Conexant HSF modem driver works, but even after an ATM1 and ATL3,
>   I get no audio while dialing.  (That can make it a whole lot harder
>   to debug the interface with strange hotel phone systems).

Haven't tried the modem yet.

>*) The bell tone is awfully shrill.  Any way to get it to a lower
>   pitch? ;-)

I can't say I've explored this one too much, but it drives me crazy
too.  I'd love to know how to soften it (aside from a sharp screwdriver ;)

>Aside from that, I have a few SuSE-specific software issues (snmpppd
>doesn't update /etc/resolv.conf properly after dial-in, that kind of
>thing), but I think those are topics for some other mailing list.

I don't have a lot of the answers you are looking for, but at least now
I know there is someone else out there trying!

Thankx

- Chris