[ltp] Disaster...my hack don't work no more...

paul linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:06:02 -0500

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 11:37:54 -0600, /dev/rob0 <rob0@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 31 December 2004 21:05, Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:
> > FATAL: Error inserting snd_cs4236
> > (/lib/modules/2.6.9-1-686/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4236.ko): No
> > such device
>
> I don't know much about udev, so I wonder if this is udev failing to
> create your device nodes ...
>
> > FATAL: Error running install command for snd_cs4236
>
> If this is a script you might add debugging code thereto: make
> everything verbose and write output to a file. But I still suspect the
> device node.

I had a similar problem with udev not creating the alsa devices
correctly. One option I used with success (on Debian Sid, though it
shouldn't matter) is to add a line to your alsa startup script that
will recreate the modules for you. After searching, there is one such
script in existence that is dropped into /usr/share/alsa-base during
install (initally creates the devices), or you can do a "find /usr
-name snddevices" and see where slackware puts it. I added this to the
beginning of my alsa startup "sh /path/to/snddevices" and it recreates
them on boot.

Hope that will be helpful to you. If it is way off base then good luck
finding another answer! Udev is a little shifty still no?

Paul