[ltp] madwifi on Debian sarge with kernel 2.6.8

paul linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:11:52 -0500

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:42:27 -0500, morpheus <morpheus@post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 13:30 +0100, Meike Reichle wrote:
> > got it figured out now. I needed to install the debhelper package. After
> > installing this one everything ran smoothly. The driver is now finished
> > installing and lsmod shows the desired modules (ath_pci, wlan and
> > ath_hal). However, there isn't a new device yet. A friend told me to try
> > pcmcia-cs. So I'll do that next and see where it takes me ...
> >
> If you're trying to use the built-in WiFi, I can't see how pcmcia-cs
> will help you, since your device is PCI.  To create the device, you can
> just alias wlan0 ath_pci which should set up a device called wlan0 for
> you.  You can add that to modprobe.conf to automate it on boot.
> Apologies if this doesn't work on Deb, I'm using Fedora.
> -m

Debian doesn't use modprobe.conf, though it can, and that is long
story in and of itself.

My quick how-to is to drop into /usr/src and "mkdir madwifi", then
pull the driver source from cvs:
"cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/madwifi co madwifi"
the cd into the madwifi directory and:
"COPTS="$COPTS -DSOFTLED" make -j2"
because that will enable the little light on your dashboard, and then:
"make install"

At that point you should be good to go. Make sure there is an entry in
your /etc/network/interfaces file that reads something like:
"iface ath0 inet dhcp"
and then try to:
"ifup ath0"

If that doesn't work, post back with your errors from any step and I
will try to help you further.

Paul