[ltp] Xandros

Joachim Schrod linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:06:06 +0100

S> Now in of itself that would be no biggie but you really need to
S> recall that SuSE is now part of Novel and that SuSE, Novel and IBM
S> are software partners. So here we have a software partner of IBM
S> software that fails to recognize IBM hardware. Personally I would
S> give them an A for tensity and an F for performance.

As a company, we're a partner of IBM, Sun, and Microsoft.

As this company's CEO, I can tell you that you overestimate the
relation of partnerships and technical developments. Partnerships are
closed for business purposes -- for marketing reasons and to get or
close deals. They may influence business processes, but seldomly
technical matters. In particular, with such a large company as IBM;
one doesn't get information out of it. I know IBM internal staff that
don't get their hands on technical information as they need it.

In addition, Linux users of Thinkpads don't matter to IBM, it's as
simple as this. IBM has enough to do supporting Linux on its server
line already; just recently I was witness in a medium-to-big-sized
project gone awfully wrong. And as I reported in my previous email, my
experience with SUSE installations vary from yours, on several
Thinkpads, since several years. Maybe this is due to a different
hardware setting of mine; but at least I don't jump as quick to
judgements as you seem to do. E.g., I wouldn't call Joe Barr's article
`!@"!@' or `propaganda' or whatever graphical expletive you used.
You're way over top in your judgements of others -- in your shoes, I
would be careful not to be judged with the same measurement stick
myself.

But this is way OT for this list by now.

	Joachim

--
Joachim		     The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the