[ltp] Sleep mode and Wireless -- best kernel for T41p?

Rob Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:18:02 -0600

Alex Casti <clash_on_broadway@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello -- I've read varied accounts on this forum about this or that
> version of the linux kernel, whether sleep mode works properly with
> it and so forth.  I'm about to muster the strength to compile a new
> kernel for my T41p, but before doing so I'd like to get an expert
> opinion or two as to which one I should use.  I run Debian's "sarge"
> distribution.

I run unstable on a t41p as well.

> Above all, I would like the sleep mode and the wireless connection
> to work properly.

Which wireless?  Atheros (madwifi) or other?

FWIW, I run 2.6.10 with software suspend, and ACPI.  As I mentioned in
another post, I was able to get suspend-to-RAM (and resume) working
with 2.6.10 after I added the acpi_sleep=s3_bios option to my grub
kernel arguments.  Before 2.6.10, I didn't need the option.  However,
it's worth mentioning that I rarely use suspend-to-RAM, so I can't
comment very deeply on how well it works.  I normally just use kernel
swsusp (to disk) which was fast enough for me in earlier kernels, and
seems to be faster in 2.6.10.

You may or may not need to unload some modules before suspending to
disk.  The drivers seem to be getting better.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu