[ltp] X40...Fedora Core 3 or Suse 9.2?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:54:35 -0700

I totally forgot to respond to your laundry list in my other post.

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:32:43 -0900, Kenneth Papp <kpapp@gi.alaska.edu> wrote:
> comments from anyone using Suse 9.2 Pro or FC3 on their X40 regarding:
>
> 1) Intel Pro 2100 wifi card

No experience with this particular card.  My T41 has an Atheros card
and I had to download madwifi on Fedora Core 3 to get it to work.  It
worked perfectly out of the box with SuSE 9.2 though.  Your mileage
may vary with your card, however.

> 2) Suspend to disk/RAM (lid open/close and/or Fn keys)

The Fedora Core 3 default kernel doesn't have APM support compiled in.
 I haven't tried making this work yet.  I never used SuSE 9.2 anywhere
but my desk at work, so I was always plugged in.

> 3) Battery life

I can get about 4 hours out of the battery in Fedora.  See above for
SuSE (plugged in).

> 4) External monitor support

Supported damn near perfectly in Fedora.  I did the install at home
where I didn't have an external monitor to use.  I took it to work and
plugged in my 20" monitor, and found the option to use it as a dual
head display easily, and configured it as fast as I did under Windows.
The SuSE took a bit of fidgeting with the X config, but I think thats
a difference between x.org and XFree86. I just remember getting dual
head displays on my SuSE install was more difficult than I thought it
should have been.

Either way, if you choose Fedora, SuSE or something else, good luck
and enjoy it! :)

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!