[ltp] Xandros (Now Debian)

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:05:23 +0100

Donald B. Altman wrote:
> ** Reply to message from bosslady@msgeek.com on Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:44:25 -0500 (EST)
>
> Hi Michelle,
>
> As a Debian wannabe, I've got a question....
>
> Would it make sense to install via a hard-disk install of Knoppix or Mepis, which I
> understand results in a standard Debian system, and then switch to apt-get?  My
> experience with a Knoppix HD install is that it's a snap.
>
> If that works, I'll suggest to my grandmother that she try it herself :-)
>
> TIA
>
> Don A

Don,
the Knoppix HD install sure works very well.

The only thing I do not like of it is that you are left with a gazillion
packages you will never use or even know what they are.

Af course you could start pruning them but it's a long and perillious road.

I vastly prefer a sarge netinst with a minimal system and once I get X
and synaptic (if you like GUIs) you will be able to turn you machine
into an efficient installation.

Also take some thoughts on partitioning.

HTH,
Bob