[ltp] Battery drain in S3

Joachim Schrod linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:53:49 +0100

Hi,

BA> first of all I wish you and yours an happy 2005.

Thank you, and to all list participants the same.

BA> Under 2.6.9 with APM battery drain is quite good: around 0.9% of
BA> my high capacity battery per hour. The problem is that when I ran
BA> this test leaving the PC suspended to RAM overnight I quickly
BA> discovered that when left in suspend to RAM for periods longer
BA> than around 30 minutes the resume just hangs (while for shorter
BA> perdiods it resumes perfectly).

This has been reported multiple times. Did you switch to a console
before suspending? This seems to help sometimes.

BA> This is why I tried 2.6.10 but in this I have the opposite
BA> behaviour: the resume comes out perfectly even after protracted
BA> periods bu the drain is unacceptable at around 9% per hour !!!
BA> This is also strengthened by the fact that when suspending to RAM
BA> with ACPI the mouse, the CD in the bay and the network adapter all
BA> appear to stay on and the bottom of the TP is consequently quite
BA> warm.

With or without the acpi_sleep=s3_bios kernel parameter?

I have to say that my request for more data on battery drain in
different configuration settings haven't brought up much up to now.
The main point is that one needs acpi_sleep=s3_bios to get proper
Suspend-to-RAM with reasonable battery drain times on 2.6.x kernels.

Cheers,
	Joachim

--
Joachim		     The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the