[ltp] Xandros (Now Debian)

pub@wigginghaus.de linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:51:57 +0100

On Monday 03 January 2005 19:58, Donald B. Altman wrote:
> ** Reply to message from bosslady@msgeek.com on Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:44:25
> -0500 (EST)
> As a Debian wannabe, I've got a question....
> Would it make sense to install via a hard-disk install of Knoppix or Mepis,
> which I understand results in a standard Debian system, and then switch to
> apt-get?  My experience with a Knoppix HD install is that it's a snap.
> If that works, I'll suggest to my grandmother that she try it herself :-)

This is actually how I have been handeling installations on my R50 since the
day I got it with one little difference: I am using Kanotix instead of
Knoppix because with Knoppix I ended up having strange dependency problems
every now and then. Apperantly this is because Knoppix is a mix of unstable
and testing packages whereas Kanotix is a 100% Sid.

I know that this does not make me a true Debian-Hacker but in the end - I am
not. I have my home-dir on a separate partition and so everytime I mess up my
system it is back up within minutes after a clean install of the most recent
kanotix version and a mount of my home-dir-partition on /home.

I can only recommend this solution for it has been working well for me the
last 12 months with 3 major updates. Since I do not always understand the
sense of what I am typing as root I tend to mess up my system every once in a
while. Kanotix leaves me after the install with a working X-Server (at
1400x1050), a working touchpad and trackpoint, working wireless-lan and it
even loads a softmodem-driver although I never tried it.

Greetings
Nils