[ltp] Xandros

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:41:02 +0100

--=-WTRREU9AVaXjyYPOXyFV

Hi,

> A Thinkpad is assembled by IBM. IBM chooses the hardware. Many times IBM=20
> decides to change hardware in the middle of a production run and as a res=
ults=20
> 2 apparent similar Thinkpads have different hardware in them. But! Here i=
s=20
> the issue. IBM does all this without telling us what hardware they are=20
> utilizing. Oh! Sometines we get the information but many times not. This=20
> makes the concept of build a system, hardware wise, irrelevant to the=20
> discussion.

As Joshua stated this is simply not true.

I think the first reason for your impression is the assumption that a
name like "Thinkpad T42" designates a specific model, which it doesn't.
It rather designates a group of models. If you want a name for a
specific model, it's the type and model number. This is a common
misconception that comes from companies habits to publish marketing
names.

Once you have a specific model number, go to the IBM support page,
you'll find a box for entering the model number on almost every page
there. Once you entered it in there and clicked on search heaps of
technical information, data sheets, hardware specifications, drivers,
tutorials etc. ... will be laid out before you.

ThinkPads are the best documented notebooks i know of.

Andr=E9.

--=-WTRREU9AVaXjyYPOXyFV

--=-WTRREU9AVaXjyYPOXyFV--