[ltp] Xandros (Now Debian)

chad brabec linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:37:24 +0000

>** Reply to message from bosslady@msgeek.com on Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:44:25
-0500 (EST)

>Hi Michelle,

>As a Debian wannabe, I've got a question....

>Would it make sense to install via a hard-disk install of Knoppix or Mepis,
which I
>understand results in a standard Debian system, and then switch to apt-get?
My
>experience with a Knoppix HD install is that it's a snap.

first, hello everyone.  i've have an a21m that is running acpi great thanks to
this board.

don, here's the thing, run what linux you want.
i'm running unstable on my laptop, all from the netinstall that michelle is
talking about.  it is a breeze to do.  i've even converted a couple of friends
to use it, debian that is.

one of them is now running ubuntu(sp?), because it works with his internal
wireless card, and then he added unstable to his sources.list.

if the knoppix is a breeze for you, do it, then update/upgrade.
if you want to install a minimal system, then do the netinstall, and put the
packages in that you'll need, want.

i know that with the choices at the end of the install, workstation, apache
server, ..., it still installs less than knoppix would.  plus once it's done,
it's up to date.  with the knoppix you'll have to update/upgrade after you
first install.  so basically you only have to install once with the
netinstall.

xandros is a great distribution, my atheros didn't work with it, neither did
the acpi, so i went back to vanilla debian.

it doesn't hurt to try it out.  what the hell, you're a linux user, that means
that you're a hacker, that means that you like to play around with your
system.  go for it.

cheers.
chad